1) Place chicken, onions, shallots, carrots, Bouquet garni and garlic in a large bowl. Add wine to cover. Mix all ingredients, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
2) Remove chicken from marinate and dry well on paper towel, reserve marinate. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
3) Heat oil in large heavy casserole pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches to avoid over crowding the pan, and brown well on all sides. Remove pieces as done and set aside.
4) Add flour to casserole pan and cook for 1 - 2 minutes. Return chicken to casserole pan. Remove casserole pan from the heat and add Cognac, then carefully ignite the Cognac. Return casserole pan to heat and add marinate.
5) Bring to boil over high heat scraping the brown bits ("fond") from the bottom of pan.
6) Add chicken stock and return to a boil.
7) Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
8) Strain sauce through sieve, discard solids. Then return sauce to pan.
9) Put cocoa powder in a small bowl and whisk in about 1 cup of sauce and mix until smooth. Add cocoa mixture to casserole pan the reduce sauce over medium heat to about 4 cups. Reduce heat and return chicken to casserole pan.
10) Meanwhile, saute bacon, mushrooms, and pearl onions over medium heat for about 10 minutes (until lightly colored). Remove this mixture from saute pan with a slotted spoon and add to chicken casserole.
11) Serve finished dish with chopped parsley and toasted croutons.
For the full story on this restaurant click here.