Preparation and cooking:
1. Sweat the onion, tomato, bacon, thyme, garlic for two minutes on low heat.
2. Peel the outside leaves away from the artichokes leaving just the tender heart.
3. Add the wine , artichoke, add 2 cups of water. Cook the mixture for 10 minutes. Peel the cherry tomatoes slices. Saute' them very quickly with olive oil or dry them at 300 degrees F in the oven for 30 minutes. Then cook them for a further ten minutes covered with parchment paper shaped to fit the pot with a hole cut in the center to allow steam to escape. Then set aside keeping warm.
4. Pour off most of the liquid from the artichoke mixture into a separate pot, reduce the stock and blend it with fresh herbs (basil or tarragon,...to taste.) in a blender or food processor.
5. In the mean time, remove abalone from their shells, clean and slice into 5 paper thin wafers pieces per abalone.
6. Flatten and tenderized them with a mallet between two pieces of wax paper, for two minutes in each side.
7. Saute them gently.
8. Reduce some of the stock with a dozen or so small, green onions.
9. When done, place on a plate, add the Barigoule mix, sauteed tomato slices, dress with the stock and top with shaved fresh truffle if you wish and if available. Decorate with your choice of green sprigs of herbs or parsley.
For the illustrated version, click here >>