In a pestle (or blender), grind the pine nuts, garlic and Parmesan into a paste. Add basil, olive oil and seasoning.
1. Peel and clean all vegetables (fennel, onion, zucchini, potatoes, carrots) and cut into cubes of 1cm.
2. Shell coco beans (known in the US as Cranberry or Borlotti beans, for more: http://frenchletters.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/les-haricots-coco/), string the green beans and cut into 1cm section on a bevel).
3. Peel the tomatoes by plunging them into boiling water 20seconds, then cool in ice water. Peel, halve and remove seeds and stems. Cut the flesh into 1cm cubes.
4. Remove bacon rind and cut into small pieces.
5. In a casserole, drizzle with olive oil and brown the bacon. Add the diced carrots, fennel and onions, add 2.5 liters of water and add the coco beans. Cook at a simmer, and add at the end of 20 minutes, green beans and pasta. 5 minutes later, add zucchini, tomatoes and potatoes. 6. Adjust seasoning and add the pesto just before serving.
Serve with grated Parmesan or cut into flakes.
For the full story on this restaurant click here.